Without the proper knowledge and skill, electricians can do more harm than good. In fact, poorly executed electrical work can be seriously dangerous.
So, when it comes to choosing an electrician, it’s worth taking the time to do your research. You want to be 100 percent certain you, your family, and your premises are safe.
In this article we’ll share with you the three vital questions to ask when seeking out an electrician. Then, we’ll give you some advice on pinpointing a trustworthy electrician.
Let’s get right into it.
3 vital questions to ask before hiring an electrician
The three vital questions to ask are:
- Why do I need an electrician?
- What qualifications do electricians need?
- Where can I find real-life customer reviews and testimonials?
Let’s have a look at these in more detail.
1. Why do I need an electrician?
“Do I really need to hire a professional electrician?”
If you find yourself asking this question, the answer is probably yes. Aside from changing standard light bulbs and operating appliances for their intended use, all electrical work must be carried out by a licensed professional. This includes the following:
- Installing new power points and upgrading old ones
- Installing transformers for downlights
- Fixing broken fittings
- Changing plugs on electrical appliances
Even if the work seems simple enough, and you feel confident you know what you are doing, refrain from DIY electrical work. Not only can you be stung by a pretty nasty fine, but you’re also putting your safety, and the safety of others, at risk.
2. What Qualifications Do Electricians Need?
Different Australian states and territories have different rules about the specific licenses and qualifications electrical contractors require.
Here in Victoria, electricians require two licenses from Energy Safe Victoria:
- An electrician’s licence (A) confirms that the individual has completed all necessary training, a 4-year apprenticeship, and 12 months of on-site experience.
- A Registered Electrical Contractors (REC) licence confirms that the individual is fit to carry out electrical work in an ethical and compliant matter.
In addition to the above, electricians must issue certificates of electrical compliance for all completed jobs. These certificates indicate that the work carried out follows strict regulations as enforced by the state, as well as Australian Standards.
3. Where can I find customer reviews and testimonials?
These days, you probably rely on customer reviews and testimonials to help you find a great restaurant, a skilled hairdresser, or a fantastic holiday destination. Like you, we believe the experiences of real-life customers are the best indication of the service you can expect.
You can find reviews for electricians on Facebook, Google, WOMO, True Local, and more.
Be wary of electricians that do not list on review websites, or those that have consistently poor reviews.
How to choose an electrician
Here is our advice on hiring a trustworthy electrician.
- Ask friends and family. If they had a positive experience with an electrician, they’d be happy to share it with you.
- Ask trusted contractors. If you know any tradespeople – such as builders or painters – chances are they can refer you to a quality electrician.
- Look in your local area. A quick search online and you’ll be presented with a number of electricians that service your local area.
- Check out online reviews. As we mentioned above, reading a couple of customer reviews can give you a good idea of the skill and work ethic of an electrician.
- Get a couple of quotes. Compare a few quotes before you make your final decision – not all electricians will charge a fair price. If it’s cheap – run a mile.
- Ask to see their electrical licence. Trustworthy electricians will show you their licence without hesitation.
- Ask whether or not you will receive a certificate of electrical safety. The answer should always be yes.
Get a fast, accurate quote today
Start your search right here. We will take care of all your electrical concerns, from the smallest jobs to the most complex. The team at NBL Electrics will get back to you quickly, assess the work that’s needed and put together an accurate quote for you. One thing we won’t do is quote on more than what you really need.
Give us a call on 0430 014 038 or fill out the form below, and we’ll get right back to you.